UCLA is the University of California, Los Angeles. It is one of the most prestigious and sought-after schools in the United States of America. Admission into this school is tough because the acceptance rate just stands at 14%. UCLA’s acceptance rate for international students is just 8%. In other words, out of every 100 international applicants, only 8 international are selected. Every year, around 30,000 students get admitted into various courses that the university offers. UCLA is a public land grant research-based university. Let us know Can An Indian Get Into UCLA?
Yes, an Indian can get into UCLA. UCLA is an ideal destination for students coming from different countries. Around 12,000 international students study at UCLA every year.
They belong to 90+ countries.
How Can An Indian Get Into UCLA?
The following are the pre-requirements for an Indian to get into UCLA:
Decide The Course And College
First of all, you need to decide what course and college you want to opt for at the university. Upon deciding that, you may want to research more about them – their environment, their academic commitments, their faculty, their infrastructure, their extracurricular activities etc.
If you meet the criteria set by the university, you need to apply to the university before the deadline set by the university. You will need to remember that getting admission into this reputed university is tough and only selected students get in. Hence, your application should set you apart from the rest of the applicants.
Focus On Your Strengths
Focus on your strengths and play them to your benefit. Your statement of purpose should tell the admission committee why you are an ideal candidate and should be selected. What you have to do is to basically impress the UCLA admission committee with your credentials. Don’t forget to mention the extracurricular activities or sports you have taken part in during your bachelor’s.
Thirdly, make sure you have all the required documents that the school requests for. The absence of any of the mandatory documents may lead to you not getting into your dream university. A list of mandatory required documents is provided in the section below.
Fourthly, submit the application fees. The application fee is $120 for all USA citizens and residents and $140 for all other applicants. An Indian student would have to pay $140 as the application fee. Fee waivers are available.
Keep Track Of Every Step
Fifthly, keep track of every step of your application. Be vigilant. The selection of candidates is based only on their applications. UCLA does not conduct interviews with potential students.
Now, you have to wait for the official notification from the university that informs you whether you are selected or not. Lastly, if selected, keep your visa documents with you as they are necessary for the admission of international students.
Admission Requirements For UCLA
Indians too are an vital part of this community. The following are the documents required for freshman applicants to UCLA. An Indian applicant needs to have:
- Transcript of a four-year undergraduate degree with high scores and a good academic scholarship (For a graduate program)
- Transcript of your high school with a good overall GPA (For undergraduate program)
- Test scores – SAT/ACT
- Statement of Purpose
- Letters of Recommendation by teachers
- Visa procedures
- English language requirements – TOEFL or IELTS scores
SAT And ACT Requirements
- SAT and ACT scores are not needed for those students seeking admission to UCLA in the academic years 2021-2022 and 2022-2023
- An average SAT score of 1400-1420 will also help you get a seat at UCLA.
- According to the University’s website, to be an undergraduate student at UCLA, you must complete both year X and XII state board or CBSE examinations, with average marks above 70 and no mark below 60. Report your subjects and marks on the International Exams page of the application, under the Test Scores tab.
- International students including Indian students must prove to the university that they have enough financial means and resources to pay for their education and living expenses. Students need a minimum of $67,000 + additional $5000 for living expenses.
A high school GPA of around 4.18 to 4.32 will better your chances of securing admission. As stated above, UCLA is very selective about its students and requires you to be at the top of your class and excel in academics. Please note there is no minimum GPA for securing admission to the university.
In other words, then, an Indian student can get into UCLA. If UCLA is your dream university, you must visit the official website to seek more information. You can also contact present international students and alumni of the university to guide you through the process and know more about the international community of UCLA. All the best!
Frequently Asked Questions
- Are There Support Resources Available For Students Of The International Community?
The Dashew Center is the fundamental resource for UCLA international students. The staff at the centre will provide you with advice and advice to make sure your time here is full of opportunities. The Dashew Center sponsors tours of Southern California, provides cultural and linguistic immersion events on campus, and offers campus facility and resource workshops and tours. All of these initiatives makes your stay at UCLA worthwhile.
2. Do International Students Require SAT/ACT Scores?
UCLA is not considering SAT/ACT scores for the academic year 2021-2022 and 2022-2023. However, an applicant still needs to demonstrate their English Proficiency through TOEFL/IELTS scores.
3. Does UCLA Provide Financial Aid To International Students?
At the undergraduate level, UCLA does not provide financial aid to international students. You can apply for scholarships in your consulate (i.e. if you are an Indian, then the Indian Consulate) through your home country.
4. What Are The Tuition Fees At UCLA?
Tuition fees at UCLA are approximately around $60,000-$65,000. This does not include living expenses on food, lodgings, books, etc. Students don’t get financial aid from the university. They need to prove they can pay the fees in the future to secure admission. Students can however apply for student loans from private lenders.