The University of Maine at Farmington is a public liberal arts college located in Farmington, Maine. Established in 1864, it was the first publicly funded normal school in the state with its former name being a western state normal school. Later, in 1968 the school merged with the University of Maine system becoming The University of Maine at Farmington. It doesn’t have any religious affiliation and is set in a rural region rested near lakes and mountains of western Maine. Let’s check-> Is the University of Maine Farmington a good school?
- The school is known and nationally recognized for its liberal arts offering and in 1974 it had an enrollment of 300 students in liberal arts alone.
- Its president is Edward Serna.
- It is one of the prestigious colleges in Maine and I received the ranking of one of the best colleges compared to all other public colleges in Maine.
- Its acceptance rate is 95% and is affordable for students. It is often referred to as a hidden gem school.
- Its mission is to enrich community citizenship, providing professional enhancement and skills, and a love for learning.
- The university takes in applications for freshers transfer students and international students through its website or in-person handling of applications.
- Its student enrollment is more than 2000.
What courses does the college offer?
- The university has courses and classes for minors to adults.
- Educational programs they offer are:-
- Early childhood education
- Elementary education
- Secondary/middle school education
- English language learners certificate
- School health education
The university also offers many special education programs. It is one of the top three teacher education programs in Maine.
- Graduate certificate programs offered by the university are in special education in administration, English language learning, Math leadership and learning, Special education elementary, Special education secondary, and many more.
- The University’s program ranges in different subjects such as Art, Arts Administration, Biology, Business Economics, Business Psychology, Community Health Education, Creative writing, Counseling, English, History, Liberal Studies, and the list goes on.
- The University offers 6 master’s programs, more than 15 self-designed programs, honors programs, and study abroad as well
- Furthermore, it also provides online courses for the students.
How is the campus life for students in the university?
Even though the university is famous and known for liberal arts, it has courses that have no more than 20 students which help the faculty in focusing on and interacting with the students more. The college believes it is a place for an exciting adventure that needs to be embraced as this is the place where the students become who they are.
- The UMF provides on-campus housing to all of its students. From just freshers to even the ones taking a gap year, you will always have a place to call home.
- They have many student organizations and clubs for the students to gain experience and improve their skills.
- The clubs range from french club, LGBTQ club, black student union, health club, animal justice league, student theater UMF, writers guild, and many more.
- The university has many residence halls for the students to experience living-learning communities and be a part of different themed communities based on their skills and interests.
- There are plays, concerts, dances, theater, festivals, and much more events that happen at the university throughout the year. It even has an art week dedicated to those who want a platform to showcase their talent.
- The university also arranges weekend excursions. Its website is always updated with the events taking place daily.
How is athletics in the university?
UMF is a member of the NCAA Division III North Atlantic Conference.
It competes against schools in Maine and outside Maine. Its nickname is beavers and their official colors are maroon, gray, and gold. It also has sports club offerings for both men and women. Women have 10 sports and men have 9 sports.
The common sports for men and women are
- Cross country
- Indoor and outdoor track & field
Women also have field hockey, lacrosse, and softball
Men also have golf and baseball.
The university has seven sports clubs where
- The sports club that compete with others are
- men’s and women’s rugby
- Cheering which s co-ed
- Frisbee which is men’s, women’s, and co-ed
- The sports clubs that do not compete are
- Dance team
- Swim club
The universities notable alumni are Sharon H. Abrams, David Miramant, Bob Marley, Lance Harvell, John Frank Stevens, Alexander Willette, and many more who are both reputed and recognized.
It is a prestigious college with good facilities and provides the right environment for the students to enhance their skills.
It is one of the best faculty colleges in Maine and just the right option for you. It offers a variety of different courses just right for your growth individually and professionally. Do not have second thoughts if you want to join this college. It provides the best campus life and supports LGBTQ students. It is a once-in-a-lifetime experience and provides the best of the knowledge and learning a student can have. It has great career options and opportunities and provides financial aid and scholarships for the students as well. It has just the right course if you are looking for a career change.
It has a peaceful atmosphere for the students to rest in the laps of nature.
Frequently asked question
- How are the faculty in the college?
It’s a university with the best faculty facilities. They are experts in their jobs and aim to provide the best for their students. They try to make the classes interactive using the latest technology and making the classes attention-worthy. The non-teaching staff is always on the go to help students with their needs. They assist the students with any college-related queries.
- Which social media platforms are the university available in?
You can find pages of the college on platforms like Instagram, Facebook, Youtube, Twitter, and their Website as well. They are active on the pages and constantly post about the updates of the college. There are separate fan pages, sports pages, and club pages for the college. It helps the students keep themselves updated.