Good Friday is a day when Christians from all over the world commemorate the crucifixion of Jesus Christ. Who had died on the cross for our sins that mankind’s have committed against God? However, the colleges in the United States do not have official holidays on Good Friday as there is no general holiday within the country. In this article, we will see about ‘Do Colleges Have Good Friday Off In The United States?’.
Do Colleges Have Good Friday Off In The United States?
Thus, schools, Colleges, and Universities in the United States resume normal functioning even on Good Friday.
Why is there no holiday on Good Friday in the United States?
Most of the countries around the world mark a holiday on Good Friday in commemoration of the crucifixion of Jesus Christ. But it is a shocking thing to know that the United States does not give federal holidays on Good Friday to its citizens.
Though 65% of the population is a Christian dominant state. They considered Good Friday as a normal business day. Only a few states have observed Good Friday as an official holiday for their citizens.
Here are some of the reasons why the US government does not have an official holiday for its citizens on Good Friday:
- The US government did not make public holidays on Good Friday as the framer of the constitution has written down that there should be a separation of the church and state.
- The First Amendment, states that “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the exercise thereof”.
- Every organization, institution, office, and individual has been given the full freedom to propagate, practice, and exercise his religion.
- In the United States, most college students get a spring break which covers the Good Friday holidays.
- There is no holiday for any religion in the United States however; Celebration is not restricted to citizens. One has the liberty to take personal holidays to follow and celebrate the religion of their choice.
- Favoring one religion by granting holidays to them will create disharmony among its citizens.
- To protect and honor their constitution has been framed by their past leaders.
What are the universities that have Good Friday off in the United States?
In the United States, the Good Friday holiday is observed only in those colleges and universities which are situated in a state i.e, Kentucky, Louisiana, New Jersey, North Carolina, North Dakota, Tennessee, Delaware, Connecticut, and Texas. And in a catholic institution, there is also a complete holiday for all the students in the United States.
Thus apart from this state’s universities and colleges, they have normal functioning classes on this day.
Do universities organize events on Good Friday?
No! Universities and colleges do not organize events on Good Friday. Because in the United States, the Good Friday holidays differ from institution to institution as there are no federal holidays. Likewise, if Christian students want to commemorate Good Friday, one has to take half day leave or full day off from their colleges and universities.
Why do College students need a holiday during Good Friday?
- Because it is a day of mourning, prayer, and fasting in commemoration of Jesus’ death in the Church to sanctify one’s sins from the blood of Jesus.
- And also Good Friday remains the holiday for Christians with no secular trappings.
- On this day, a holy communion was served in the church to the entire Baptism member as a sign of purification of sins with Jesus’ blood.
- It is a day when Christians from all over the world should remember and commemorate the death of Jesus.
Why do Christians celebrate Good Friday?
Good Friday is the day of the Crucifixion of Jesus Christ on the cross which comes after the sixth day of the Holy Week. It is been celebrated every year in April before Easter as a day of prayer, fasting, and sorrow for the Christians all over the world in commemoration of the death of Jesus Christ, who had died on the cross of Calvary for our sins to give salvation to the sinners on this earth.
Why is Good Friday so important to Christians?
Good Friday is a very important day for Christians and also for all mankind on this earth. Because it is a day when our sins have been forgiven by the blood of Jesus on the cross of Calvary. Every Christians observed Good Friday in the Church to retrospect and think of one own sin and feel the pain of how Jesus died on the cross for the sinners. On this day, a holy communion was served in the church to the entire Baptism member as a sign of purification of sins with Jesus’ blood.
Things to know in the United States before choosing your colleges/universities
Parents and students in the United States should be aware before they choose their colleges and universities to study. The holiday of religion entirely depends on the authority of the institutions within the states. The US government has less interference regarding religious holidays because Congress in the United States does not have the right to make any law based on religion.
Thus, in the United States, one should know that the Good Friday holiday can be considered a personnel holiday because it depends on the personnel’s choice to respect and honour his religion. Although there has been a lot of debate on this issue. However, the United States is a secular state where every religion is respected and honored by everyone. The supreme court of the United States has also intervened on this holiday but it concluded that if given a holiday on this day may bring disunity among its citizens.
However, at present in the United States, it’s been observed that Good Friday is most celebrated like federal holidays where almost all employees took off on this day because the majority of the population are Christian-dominated states. And it is only the government that does not grant federal holidays to its citizens for the respect of their constitution.