Sports could be seen in different perspectives, it could be for recreational purposes or as a source of livelihood. It is particularly very important and beneficial to a child’s social and psychological growth, it builds their self esteem and also helps them to plan and also coordinate themselves properly. In this article, we will see about ‘What Percentage Of Students Play Sports In USA?’.
What Percentage Of Students Play Sports In USA?
Percentage of Students that Play Sport
Over time, the rate at which students participates in sports has been on the increase in the United States, different researches has been carried out to this effect and it has been discovered that the percentage of high school students that Play Sports in the US is 57% compared to the previous years whilst the percentage of college students involved in sports is 58.3% though this may differ for different colleges.
Common Sports Played by Students
- Girls lacrosse
- Ice hockey
- Cross Country
The most commonly played sports amongst the above listed are : basketball, football and girls lacrosse:
Basketball: About 39% of the population of children between the ages of 6 – 14 are involved in playing basketball, a game which is said to have the highest level of participation amongst boys and girls which makes it the most popular team sport. This sport is mostly played by children for fun.
Football: It is the most popular and most loved sport amongst the male folks but now popular with the females. Over the years there has been a decline in the level of male participation leaving the game to the females with an increase to about 7.5%. The decline was as a result of the high demand of the game and the high risk most especially concussion involved in playing the game.
Girls lacrosse: Also commonly known as Women Lacrosse introduced in the year 1890 is a game played by 12 players in a field. There has been an increase in student participation to about 40% in the last few years.
Reasons for Lack of Participation in Sports
- Lack of confidence: this may arise as a result of low self esteem, most students feel they cannot really make an impact or do anything good for themselves, they tend to feel they might be rejected by other students and so shy away from engaging in athletic activities.
- Role models: Kids are attracted to and imitate people they love, but when those they look up to are not active in their roles it makes such kids have little or no interest.
- Bullying: This is common amongst students in the United States, this can make the weekend students lose interest in activities or reduce their self esteem as such lead to inactive participation
Ways to Enhance Participation in Sports
- Develop a winning program
- Respect their wishes and desires
- Creating a healthy environment for sport activities
- Parents and communities should be involved
The percentage of active participation of students in sport can rise above 58.3%, if students are encouraged to participate in sports activities as this can help improve their social and psychological wellbeing.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Why Play Sports in Schools?
It is very important to engage in sports activities in school because it builds confidence, self respect and helps in setting goals and how to manage time properly.
- Are Student Athletes More Successful?
It has been observed that students who participate in sports perform better in their academics compared to other students.