Professors are those individuals who teach students, especially in universities or colleges who have acquired a master’s degree or doctorate or master’s in philosophy degree in a particular subject and has taken up a job in preaching to the students who are pursuing higher studies. The word professor is derived from the Latin word ‘Profiteri’, which means the one who professes or declares something publicly. And later, from this Latin word ‘professor’ has come up which is a late Middle English word. The professors stand in the highest rank in the teaching or education sector and built students who are going to soon join a career that they are anticipating only after completing the degree. Let us know How Professors Are Addressed In The University?
Features or characteristics needed in a good professor
A good control or idea and knowledge on the subject they are going to preach.
Should have the idea that this preaching is not for school student so must use less detailed explanation and tough words or précised sentences to explain them.
Must give loads of assignments on the chapter or area taught in the class.
Should have an idea that the students do have some basic idea on the subject except in engineering and MBBS courses as those are completely different from the subjects they have learned.
Very much passionate about the subject.
Should have an effective teaching style by understanding every student’s mind through effective connection and communication skills.
Should have a detailed idea about the syllabus of each course or term.
Should know how to maintain class decorum.
Should show their professional self when giving assignments and while explaining the topics or doing the practical work.
Should not differentiate between good grade students and low-grade students.
Should be able to understand the student’s psychology and act as counselors when in time of need, understand their problems, and help to resolve them.
Should check whether any student is experiencing bullying or is undergoing any mental stress.
Don’t be lenient or too harsh towards the students. Try to be their listening partner.
Best American universities with the best faculties
situated in New Haven, Connecticut, USA is a private university. Founded in 1701. This university ranks first for the presence of the best professors in America. This college is famous and ranks first in the History, Anthropology, and Sociology departments.
situated in Providence, Rhode Island, USA is a private university. Founded in 1764. This university ranks second for the presence of the best professors in America. This college ranks first in the English and Global Studies departments.
situated in Durham, North Carolina, USA is a private university. Founded in 1838. This university ranks third for the presence of the best professors in America and first for being the best Christian college. This college is famous for its Public Policy department and its athletic team.
situated in Houston, Texas, USA is a private university. Founded in 1912. This university ranks fourth for having the best professors in America. This university is famous and ranks first in the departments of Kinesiology, Physical Therapy, Sports Management, and Architecture.
situated in Evanston, Illinois, USA is a private university. Founded in 1851. This university ranks 5th for having the best professors in America. This university ranks first in the Department of Communication and Performing Arts and ranks first in the city of Illinois.
situated in Hanover, New Hampshire, USA is a private university. Founded in 1769. This university ranks 6th for having the best professors in America. This university is famous for the department of Anthropology, Sociology, and Global Studies and ranks 6th in the country.
Salary of the professors in America
- The go-to salary of any professor of America is around $ 57,104 per annum. The professors in the state of Boston, USA get paid the highest – $125,421 per annum as per the recent data of 2022. The average salary of a full-time professor at a private university is $ 203,000 while that of a public university is $ 99,000. The salary of an assistant professor is $ 69,206 and that of an associate professor is $ 79,654. The salaries of the professors are determined by the American Association of University Professors.
How professors are addressed in different American universities?
- All the university teachers and colleges are addressed as professors defying their rank in the college or university and their education degrees.
- All the professors do not acquire doctorate degrees.
- The lecturers in any American University are referred to as assistant professors and they belong to the young teachers who have just completed their master’s course or their fellowship degree.
- The associate professors are usually those professors who have little experience in their career and have a doctorate.
- In universities and colleges in America, the head of the department is referred to as Dean. They are the professors with the highest level of experience in that particular college or university or a particular subject. They belong to the highest level a professor can achieve with years of experience in teaching students and also with the highest feedback from them.
Qualifications needed to become a professor in America
- After completing the bachelor’s degree you should complete your master’s degree and a doctorate. Only a few colleges in the USA accept college teachers who have just completed their masters.
- In America, postgraduate or doctorate students get teaching experience by assisting the undergraduates or by taking up the job of TA or teaching assistant otherwise called Teacher’s Aide – who works as a helping hand for the senior professors. This job is totally about patience and committing your time.
- Should have published loads of research works that were approved by the university or colleges.
To conclude, the topic itself is quite small to be discussed but to be honest, the job of being a professor is time taking. The system of calling our professors for their recruitment is completely different from both countries’ perspectives. Having a high grade in the subject chosen from the very first school days to college days to the universities becomes a necessity for you to think that you deserve the job.