Do you want the name of an American university on your CV? Gaining a degree from a renowned university in the US would mean that you are highly proficient in the English language and possess impeccable intercultural skills. Over a million international students try their luck each year for admission to the top-most American universities. While studying in America might look heavy on the pocket, there are many ways of working around your finances and applying to one of the cheapest yet renowned universities .Let us know more about Cheapest Universities In The US For International Students in this articles!
Cheapest Universities In The US For International Students
US has been the favourite place for international students for many years. The reason for this fandom is the wide range of institutions, the USA offers to accommodate students of various nationalities. If you are worried about how to research for cheapest universities in the US for international students, here are some guidelines that will come in handy.
Step 1 – Find out about the colleges with the highest rankings suitable for international students.
Step 2 – Choose the correct program according to your academic focus.
Step 3 – Apply for the selected university online. Keep in mind that it should be a cost-effective one.
Step 4 – Submit the required documents and complete some tests.
Step 5 – Plan your finances. Look for any aids that are available for you.
Step 6 – Accept admittance to the university that best suits your needs.
Step 7 – Apply for a student visa.
Step 8 – Search for proper accommodation.
How Does Studying In The USA Benefit International Students?
The USA has been the host to an enormous number of international students. This is because of the quality of education, flexible curriculum, multiple opportunities and mixed cultural environment that the US system of education can provide its students.
Some of the important plus points are:
- Academic expertise – USA is home to some of the highest-ranked universities and colleges in the world. These universities have a better academic system and follow thorough practices to maintain the standard and quality of education they provide. In 2019, at least 33 US-based universities were ranked by the QS World Ranking out of 100 universities globally.
- Flexible Curricula – Universities in the US offer unnumerable programs and curriculums. Here you can opt for the course content as well as the structure of your choice. This enables you to pursue different majors or a major coupled with a minor in the undergraduate program and also switch between majors. This allows the students to choose between different courses without making any hasty decisions.
- Excellent Support – The US education system conducts workshops and training on regular basis to assist international students. They help in solving any query that students may have related to academic, cultural or faculty levels.
- Diverse Culture – US universities welcome students from all over the world. Hence, they ensure that all cultures and communities are accepted and without any discrimination.
- Affordable Fee Structure – A wide range of universities in the US offer affordable higher education for international students. This helps them to achieve their dream of becoming an undergraduate or graduate from an American university.
Which Are Some Of The Most Affordable Universities In The US For International Students?
The Migration Policy Institute of USA recorded some 1.1 million students who came from abroad to study in American universities in the year 2019-2020. But it is a known fact that the US is not exactly a cheap destination.
While the tuition fee in top-most universities exceeds the range of 50,000 to 70,000 USD per academic year, this does not mean you need to forget about your dream of a better future.
When it comes to taking a loan for your higher education, lower tuition fee becomes an important aspect. According to the U.S. News, out of 544 colleges that were ranked for enrolling at least 25 international students for the academic year 2022-23, 15 such universities have been listed to have a yearly cost below $24,600. The data is based on the tuition fee, boarding, books and cost of daily commuting. For some universities, this cost is as cheap as $15,560 per year and excludes any financial aid such as scholarships and grants provided by the government.
To make it easy for you, here is a list of the 15 cheapest US universities for international students.
University of Maine
Situated in Presque Isle in Maine, the University of Maine is ranked between 35-45 in the category of Regional Colleges of the North. The total cost for an undergraduate course in the academic year 2022-2023 was $24,590.
Northern State University
Situated in Aberdeen in the state of South Dakota, the Northern State University is ranked 85 in the category of Regional Universities of the Midwest. The total cost for an undergraduate course in the academic year 2022-2023 was $24,497.
University of South Dakota
Situated in Vermillion in the state of South Dakota, the University of South Dakota is ranked 268 in the category of National Universities. The total cost for an undergraduate course in the academic year 2022-2023 was $24,485.
South Dakota State University
Located in Brookings, South Dakota, this university is ranked 317 among other National Universities. The total cost of studying at South Dakota State University in the year 2022-2023 has been $24,240. It supported 241 international undergraduates amongst a total of 9,847 undergraduates in total, in the fall semester of 2021.
Located in Talladega in the state of Alabama, Talladega College bags the U.S. News ranking of 65 under Regional Colleges. It accommodated a total of 1.144 undergraduates in the fall of 2021 wherein 60 international students were granted admission. The total cost of studying here in the academic session 2022-2023 has been $23,975.
Nicholls State University
Situated in Thibodaux in the state of Louisiana, Nicholls State University is ranked 83 under Regional Universities in the South by U.S. News. The total number of undergraduates studying here in the fall of 2021 was 5,579 including 87 international students with a total fee of $23,377.
Bemidji State University
This university in Minnesota state, in the city of Bemidji, stands at 89th position under the category of Regional Universities in the Midwest. The total valuation of studying here in the year 2022-2023 has been $21,892.
Dickinson State University
The Dickinson State University is in Dickinson, North Dakota and stands in 53rd place among Regional Colleges in the Midwest. It took up 41 international undergraduates amongst a total number of 1,337. The total fee for the year 2022-2023 has been $21,458.
West Carolina University
The Cullowhee city of North Carolina is home to West Carolina University. This university stands at the 263rd position under the category of National Universities in the U.S. News Ranking. The total cost of studying here for the academic year 2022-2023 has been $21,435.
Delta State University
Delta State University is situated in Cleveland, Mississippi and holds the 63rd rank among other Regional Universities in the South Zone. While the total cost in the year 2022-2023 has been $21,422, the total number of undergraduates under its wings during fall 2021 was 2,041 out of which 61 students were international undergraduates.
University of North Carolina
Present in the city of Pembroke in the state of North Carolina, the University of North Carolina is the 56th rank holder among South Zone Regional Universities according to the U.S. News Ranking. The total fee for the year 2022-2023 has been $20,577. It housed a total of 6,317 undergraduates including 105 international students.
Brigham Young University
The Brigham Young University situated in Provo city of Utah stands at 89th place under National Universities for being the cheapest university for international students. The total valuation of a course in the academic year 2022-2023 has been $18,528.
Minot State University
Located in Minot, South Dakota and ranked 104 under the Regional Universities category at the Midwest level, this university took a total of 2,576 undergraduates in the fall of 2021. 248 international students were granted admission and a total cost of $18,088 was administered.
Texas A&M University
Situated in Kingsville in the state of Texas, the U.S. News has ranked Texas A&M University between 331st– 440th position under the category of National Universities. The total cost for the academic year 2022-2023 has been $17,444. It took 5,085 undergraduates onboard inclusive of 178 international students for fall 2021.
Oklahoma Panhandle State University
Situated in the Goodwell city of Oklahoma State, the Oklahoma Panhandle State University is one of the cheapest universities in the US for international students. It stands at 17th place in the Regional Colleges category in the West zone according to the U.S. News Ranking. The total cost of the academic session 2022-2023 has been $15,560. The total number of undergraduates in the fall of 2021 was 1,294 including 63 international students.
What Is An Estimated Living Expense For International Students In The US?
If you are an international student aspiring to study in one of the most expensive countries in the world like the USA, you should keep in mind many other aspects adding to the cost of living a good life. While tuition fee is one of the key points to focus on planning your finances, the cost of accommodation, food and commuting costs also play a major role.
The table below will give you an approximate of the cost you will have to incur as an international student.
|Accommodation||$9,800-$11,100 per annum|
|Food||Restaurants: $400-$600 monthly, On-campus: $250 monthly|
|Books and Stationery||$900-$2,000 per annum|
|Commute||$300-$700 per annum|
|Health Insurance||$700-$1,100 per annum|
|Phone Subscription||$50 monthly|
Other than these common things you may have to keep aside a certain sum of money which can come in handy for purchases such as car rentals, social gatherings, medical expenses, furniture, PC, laundry etc.
What Should You Keep In Mind Before Applying?
You can introspect the following to make a well-informed decision:
- Do you prefer a small institution or a large university?
- Should it be a private institute or a public one?
- Would you be willing to afford a college campus or another accommodation?
- What is your preferred program to study?
- Which type of student groups or organizations would you like to be a part of?
- When does the program start and what is its duration?
What Are The Requirements For International Students To Apply For A University In The US?
While every college and university in the US has its own admission criteria, here are some common documents you need to submit.
Undergraduate applicants need to submit:
- SAT score or ACT score
- TOEFL, PTE, IELTS or iTEP score to understand proficiency in the English language.
- Letter of Recommendation
- Copy of your passport
- Financial proof (depending on the criteria of the university)
Graduate applicants require to submit the following:
- Transcripts from their graduation degree
- Scores of GRE/GMAT and TOEFL, PTE, IELTS or iTEP
- Statement showing the purpose of choosing the university as an international student (SOP)
- Letter for research
- Letter of recommendation
- Copy of your passport
- Financial proof (showing the necessary funds to go through the whole program)
The applicants may also be interviewed over videoconferencing with the admission committee of the university.
Once you have complete knowledge about the most affordable universities, whether you would like to stay on-campus or in the city or countryside and how you would sort your finances; life becomes much easier in a foreign country.
A well-planned decision of applying to some of the cheapest universities in the US for international students would help you save some money.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Which university should I opt for? Public or private?
Public universities Vs. Private universities in the US for international students.
|Factors||Public Universities||Private Universities|
|Tuition Fee for Master’s Degree||$25,000||$41,000|
|Tuition Fee for Bachelor’s Degree||$26,290||$35,830|
- Any tips for reducing the living expenses for international students studying in universities in the USA?
Follow basic saving hacks such as using public commutes for travelling. Consider working a part-time job in the evenings or over the weekends.
- Can you list some more affordable cities having good universities in the US for international students?
Some of the most pocket-friendly cities in America for international students are:
- San Diego – San Diego State University, University of California
- Philadelphia – Drexel University, University of Pennsylvania
- Houston – North American University, Midwest State University