Have you ever wondered what intrinsic rewards are, and how they can be used to improve employee performance? Intrinsic rewards can motivate employees where other rewards don’t usually have the desired results. Here is why.
What are intrinsic rewards?
- Intrinsic rewards are ways to motivate employees to work to the best of their abilities.
- Intrinsic rewards include an increase in salary, more flexible working hours, and recognition of their abilities.
- These rewards motivate the employees to work to the best of their abilities.
- While these rewards are exponentially useful in increasing employee performance, this is not the only place they can be implemented.
- Intrinsic rewards can be used to increase student performance, as well as that of children.
- These rewards can increase the desire to learn in students, and the desire to be helpful and concentration in children.
- While extrinsic rewards are helpful, the reliance on these rewards does not always increase productivity, concentration, or the desire to be independent and to be able to stand on their own two feet.
- Intrinsic rewards are internally motivated. This means that it installs a desire to perform to expectations, not a compulsion.
- If a desire to perform to the best of their abilities is intrinsically motivated, this means that the employee, child, or student will not give up if it gets too difficult to do.
- Intrinsic motivation means that they build a desire to be able to prove to themselves that they can do what is expected of them.
- Another positive effect of intrinsic motivation is the fact that they actually enjoy doing what is asked of them.
- If an employee, child, or student enjoys doing tasks, then the productivity will not only increase, but the quality of the work will also increase.
- Intrinsic motivation has made a large impact on the way that employers, teachers, and parents manage them.
- The large-scale effect that intrinsic motivation has had is proven by many studies.
- This effect has also made a great impact on how individuals are being treated by their superiors.
- Due to the positive impact that intrinsic motivation has had, many employers, teachers, and parents are starting to use this method as motivation, with many positive results.
For the employers:
Many studies indicating just how relevant intrinsic rewards can be in the workplace have been performed in Pakistan.
Due to its high unemployment rate, Pakistan was selected as a focal point for the study because of one reason. SME’s.
SME stands for Small and Medium Enterprises. Many of these businesses have started up in Pakistan, and this is greatly helping with the unemployment rate and economy.
The reason that the SMEs in Pakistan were observed for the study is the attitude of the workers. When many extrinsic rewards were offered, the workers were motivated to improve their work, to receive the rewards.
But not all workers are interested in certain rewards, so not all workers increased their productivity.
But when intrinsic motivation was applied, the productivity of most workers was increased, and they made a much larger effort.
Intrinsic rewards have the benefit of getting most people motivated, as they find these goals both more achievable and more desirable.
For the students:
Many students struggle to find the motivation to do their work to the best of their abilities for several reasons. These reasons include the fact that they are not academically inclined and a complete lack of interest in what they are doing.
Many students only go through the educational process because they have to, which is why many students don’t bother furthering their education after high school, even if they can afford to.
For students who are not academically inclined, finding the correct intrinsic rewards to interest them in their work can be extremely difficult. Especially when they would rather be somewhere else.
One way to provide intrinsic rewards to students such as these is to combine the reward with something they enjoy doing.
For example, if a 14-year-old student would much rather be outside playing soccer, you could motivate them by combining the lesson with something about soccer, and by asking them to help you and other students understand more about the subject.
Not only does this spark their interest because it is something they enjoy doing, but it also rewards them with the satisfaction of having a classroom listen to their opinion and knowledge about the subject.
For students who are home-schooled, or do their studies on the internet, intrinsic motivation can be really difficult to come by, as they are responsible for their studies.
But everyone has something that they enjoy doing and that makes them pay more attention, and using this as an intrinsic motivator can always help improve their work.
For the children:
Finding the correct motivation for children, especially at home, can be very difficult to do. It all depends on the child, and the goal itself.
One popular way to provide intrinsic motivation for young children is to turn their tasks into enjoyable activities.
If the house has to be cleaned, turn it into a competition. Give the child their room to clean, while you clean another. If the child finishes first, you could go for ice cream, which would be an extrinsic reward or the child could pick the activity they would most like to do, and you will join them.
What do I need to know about intrinsic rewards?
- How can I use intrinsic rewards to make my child behave?
Making any child behave completely is an impossible task, as there will always be a point where they act out, just like any other human. But if you find the right trigger for your child, preferably an activity that you know they enjoy and you may also be able to bond with, you can use this in a way to provide positive reinforcement. With the right reward, the child would be glad to do the tasks themselves.
- How do I use intrinsic motivation to help my students learn?
Involving students in the lesson plans on a personal level will always be helpful. While there are certain subjects no student enjoys, you can always find a way to make them interesting. Once you capture the attention of your students on a personal level, motivation and desire will be increased.
- How do I use intrinsic motivation in the workplace?
Intrinsic motivation among employees is generally the same. Knowing that they will be rewarded with something like a salary raise will make them work harder to achieve it.
While extrinsic rewards can help, rewards that are useful on a personal level to each employee tend to have the most positive effect.
Intrinsic rewards are something that every person, young or old, can relate to. This increases motivation for each task and makes doing these tasks more enjoyable. These rewards can not only be used in a professional or academic setting but also in a personal one.