To know how long does it take to get a student visa after biometrics Canada….Read on this article…!
Canada is a country in Northern America. The capital of Canada is Ottawa. Canada is a parliamentary democracy and a constitutional monarchy in the Westminster tradition. Its Monarch is Elizabeth, Governor-General is Mary Simon, Prime Minister is Justin Trudeau. The largest city is Toronto. Its legislature is Parliament with the Senate upper house and the House of Commons lower house. Its official language is English and French and the total area is 9,984,670 km2. According to the 2021 census, the population of the country is 36,991,981. Its currency is the Canadian dollar ($).
The country has a total of 10 provinces
- British Columbia
- New Brunswick
- Prince Edward Island
- Newfoundland and Labrador
- Nova Scotia
The country has 3 territories
- The Northwest Territories
Time takes to get a Student Visa after Biometrics Canada
Usually, after biometrics, a student visa takes around 2 to 3 weeks to get accepted in canada and in some cases, it takes up to 3 months. Sometimes a student needs to defer their intake if their visa does not come or gets rejected.
International Students in Canada
Canada allures a remarkable number of international students. As per the data of 2019, Canada is the fourth largest country based on enrolment after the United States, the United Kingdom, and China. International students are available at all levels including primary, secondary, college, and university with the largest number in post-secondary. The number of students climbed year by year from 2015 to 2018 in 2015 the number was 50,000 and by 2018 it reaches 120,000. A lot of Canadian universities provide some scholarships to attract students who got high caliber. As per the survey by Canadian Bureau for International Education (CIBE), 96% of International Students think of Canada as their study destination due to its multicultural people, safety, and quality of education.
Students can also work off-campus 20 hours a week to make a living it is illegal to work more than 20 hours as it deteriorates the quality of their study. After graduation, students can apply for a post-graduation work permit if they want to stay in Canada. After 3 years of stay in Canada, one can go for Permanent Residency (PR). Very low volume of graduates are successful in their aim of transitioning from international students to Permanent Residence also the majority of students are working in low skilled low paying jobs.
The countries in which the international students come to Canada:
- India (30%) – 172,625 enrolments
- China (25%) – 142,895 enrolments
- South Korea – 24,195 enrolments
- France – 22,745 enrolments
- Vietnam – 20,330 enrolments
It can be observed that the major part of international students constitutes India and all the other country’s enrolments are less than India.
The provinces where international students mostly preferred to go:
- British Columbia
- Nova Scotia
According to 2016 data,
- The universities with the highest enrolment for under-graduates studies are:
- University of British Columbia (31%)
- McGill University (30.7%)
- Bishop’s University (29.6%)
- The Universities with the highest enrolment for graduate students are:
- University of Windsor (57.2%)
- Memorial University of Newfoundland (50%)
- Concordia University (49.2%)
Process of getting a study visa for international students
- Qualifying Test: First and the foremost step in the whole process of getting the visa is to check whether you need to qualify for some sort of test or not. If yes, then one needs to check that one will go with IELTS, PTE, TOEFL, or something other. In most cases, it is the choice of the person which test he will take according to his convenience.
- Offer Letter: The second step, (or first step if an individual does not need to qualify for any exam) is to decide which college or university one wants to go to. Usually, students apply for more than one university to save themselves in case of any uncertainty. Only after getting an acceptance letter, one can move ahead with the visa application. An Acceptance letter is a must for getting a student visa.
Some of the Canadian Universities are:
- University of Winnipeg
- MacEwan University
- York University
- Thompson River University
- University of Manitoba
- Application for a Canadian student visa: As soon as one receives the acceptance letter, it is time to go ahead and apply for a study permit. One can also hire an agent but in the case of applying on its own, the following procedure will be followed.
- Apply online at Citizenship and Immigrant Canada (CIC) website
- Upload the required documents online. Documents needed are:
- Recent passport size photos
- Original letter of acceptance
- A passport/ travel document, so that you can return to your home country
- Financial proof so that you can live in Canada for about 10,000 to 11,000 CAD per year for living in the country.
- A letter of intent
- Proof of study permit fee
- Proof confirming you had never engaged in any criminal activity
- Medical reports state you are in good health and have no severe disease.
- Biometrics and interview: It depends from country to country whether you need your biometrics done or not. The biometrics fee is 85 CAD. Some citizens of the country do not need to get biometrics done. Sometimes you can be called for an interview.
- Receiving a study permit: It depends on the home country that how many days it takes to get a study permit, but it usually takes less than 90 days to get a study permit if your application is not get rejected.
The economic effect of students
The large of international students contributes a lot to the Canadian economy. Long-term international students disburse yearly an average of $33,800 in 2015 and $35,100 in 2016. This figure includes expenses related to education and another personal spending. International students in Ontario contributed about $05.04 billion to the province’s GDP (gross domestic product) in 2015, this figure rises to $6.35 billion in 2016.
To recapitulate, there is no standard processing time but the student visa for Canada takes 20 to 90 days to get accepted or rejected. It is important to note that the rejection rate of the Canadian Study Permit was 30% as per the CIC. International students and tourism contribute a lot to the GDP of Canada.
Frequently asked questions
- What is the success rate of a Canadian study visa?
As per the report of IRCC 2020, 51% of applications were accepted. The reasons for refusal are insufficient financial funds of proof to support foreign education.
- Is Canada cheap to study?
Studying in Canada is a lot cheaper than studying in another country. If one is looking for an affordable degree or course as an international student then Canada is the right fit.