To know do colleges have National Honor Society….Read on this article….!
National Honor Society (NHS):
The national honor society is a student organization for high schools in the United States of America. There are four eligibility criteria for the selection to be done in this society which are scholarship, character, leadership, and service. This organization was formed in 1921 in Pittsburgh, United States of America.
Do colleges have a national honor society?
Some colleges do have a national honor society and they give recognition to the society to some extent but some colleges do not give recognition to the society because they think that being a part of the national honor society is not the only factor to Get into a college. For instance, The University of Mizzou, Columbia in an interview said that the national honor society students are not given Any extra facilities to get into a college and do not give any benefits to high school students. Their admission is purely based on the marks and grades the student received.
Another example is the University of Tennessee Which is a contrary thing to the University of Mizzou. It states that University gives a kind of recognition to the student in a part of the scholarship process because it shows that the student after being a part of the national honor society has taken up classes that are very fruitful and challenging.It shows that on one side a college is not giving any preference or recognition to the student of the National Honor Society and it does not have a National Honor Society but at the same time another college has some kind of recognition and does have a National Honor Society for helping the students to get a scholarship. Another example can be Johnson County Community College which also helps National Honor Society students to get scholarships but it does not affect the admission process.
Purpose of National Honor Society:
There are two honor societies named National Honor Society which is dedicated to the upliftment of high school students and the second one is junior National Honor Society which is dedicated to identifying excellence in middle school students. The main purpose of this society is to honor those students who have qualified and have excelled in the factor of selection which is scholarship, character, leadership, and service.
There are 4 purposes of the national honor society:
- Firstly, creating an environment that is filled with enthusiasm and excitement for a scholarship.
- The second purpose is to increase the Desire to promote service to society.
- Thirdly, to promote the feeling of leadership among the youth.
- And the last purpose is to help the students to develop their character.
Benefits of being a part of the National Honor Society:
- The first benefit is on the part of the scholarship to the student. National Honor Society students get some kind of recognition during scholarship and it is one of the reasons for the students join the National Honor Society. But a criterion is laid down for getting a scholarship which is that the student needs to be an active member of the society that only they can avail the benefit of a scholarship and not just being a part of the national honor society will give the candidate a scholarship from the college will stop
- By being a part of the national honor society, the student can get opportunities in the field of volunteering. The people who love to interact with new beings, and bring some kind of revolution to the nation by leaving an impact can choose to be part of the National Honor Society. The National Honor Society requires 20 hours of community service from the student.
- The last benefit can be that it helps the resume to stand out from a lot of people.
What are the things a student needs to do by being a part of the national honor society?
The national honor society has a certain kind of requirement which involves volunteering for 20 hours, a good GPA score which is around 85, or an equivalent standard of grades.
What are the things which happen in the National Honor Society?
National Honor Society is a student program to help students who are good at everything. And the things which happen in the National Honor Society are:
- The society arranges different meetings to talk about the 4 pillars and how to achieve them. The meeting lasts from 30 minutes to one hour and is held once every 2 weeks.
- The next thing which happens in society is volunteering. Volunteering is a vital proposal of the National Honor Society and it helps to gain many things and socialize with new people.
- The society also organizes lead conferences which stands for leadership experience and development conferences for the members.
- It also organizes national student leadership week to help students work with different people and enhance their skills in leadership.
- Service projects, financial aid planning, state summits, and mentorship common networking events are held every week or every 2 weeks.
National Honor Society is for high school students to promote leadership commerce service comma character leadership commerce service, character, and scholarship among the students and the society. It depends on the college to have a National Honor Society because it’s not mandatory for a college to have a National Honor Society. Some colleges have the National Honor Society but they give benefits to students only in the sphere of scholarship and not in the admission process, on the other hand, some colleges do not give any recognition to national honor society members. The article explains the purpose of the National Honor Society and the benefits of the eligibility criteria a student needs to have to get into society.
- Is there any nomination process for getting into the National Honor Society?
Yes, the applicant needs a teacher who can nominate the student’s name for the National Honor Society and it usually requires a signature and a nomination letter by the teacher.
- Which National Honor Society is the best?
Phi Betta Kappa is considered to be the best honor society because it is one of the oldest academic honor societies.