Umass, also known as the University of Massachusetts and the Public Research University, is one of the world’s leading and top universities. Umass started its journey in 1883 as an agricultural college. Umass has five academically affiliated colleges, and the academic staff at Umass is more than 2000. If we count the total number of students at Umass, then more than 32,000 students are pursuing different degree programs at Umass. Umass offers 109+ undergraduate courses and more than 77 master’s programs. Umass is famous for its research facilities because it provides its students with the best facilities available at Umass, and the university spends $211 million on its research and development program. Let us know more detail about ‘Umass Amherst Review’.
Umass Amherst Review
Umass Amherst has affiliations with more than nine colleges where different departments of Umass Amherst are operated, and these colleges offer various courses for students that are job-oriented and have a high ranking among the courses.
Umass Amherst is one of the most prestigious and top universities in the world, as evidenced by its consistent placement at the top of various survey websites and magazines. Umass Amherst has two world-class libraries that are popular among students because they have the best facilities. As such, students can get all the study materials, antique books, and other relevant educational things.
Umass Amherst is one of the five college consortiums where students can borrow books, attend classes, work with professors, participate in lab practices, and other benefits. The name and fame of Umass Amherst University are spreading worldwide because the number of enrollments for admission to Umass Amherst is increasing every year. The acceptance rate of the Umass Amherst university is almost 58%, and it gives priority to students who have a good GPA, SAT, ACT, knowledge of the English language, and a few other factors that determine the admission of students to Umass Amherst.
Advantages of University of Massachusetts Amherst:
The University of Massachusetts, or UMass Amherst, has the following advantages for students: its campus, administration, and academics.
- The acceptance rate of Umass Amherst is better than some other competitive and highly ranked public universities, as the acceptance rate of Umass Amherst is 63.8%.
- If an applicant applies through the University of Massachusetts—Amherst’s Early Action Program and has given top priority to Umass Amherst, he can apply earlier, and his chances of acceptance at the University of Massachusetts are higher.
- Umass Amherst tries to provide efficient facilities to its students, and its academic and administrative staff have healthy relationships with students to offer an education-friendly environment. It has quality campus facilities: on-campus housing, quality dining options, a club, a library, museums, and a few more facilities are available for the students of Umass Amherst.
- Umass Amherst University is a test-optional institution, which means that if applicants took the ACT or SAT, they could provide their test scores; otherwise, if you did not take these tests, you are still eligible, and your application will be considered alongside those of students who did, and you will not be disqualified from the admissions process.
- The Umass is consistently ranked among the top institutes, and its fees are reasonable because it is a public university. You can also get a scholarship.
The disadvantages of University of Massachusetts Amherst
Everything has two sides, and in the case of the Umass Amherst, as you saw some of the Umass’s pros, please let us know some of the Umass’s cons.
- Umass Amherst follows a test-optional policy, but students do not know about this. When they get later about this policy, they think it is not correct for eligibility for admission at Umass because everyone can participate for acceptance, and sometimes deserving candidates are left behind.
- Some students think Umass Amherst does not provide the quality for which it is known worldwide.
- According to some resources, Umass Amherst is overpriced because sometimes they find that the education and facilities there are not up to par.
Umass Amherst Fees and Other Costs:
The students who are going to study at Umass Amherst should know the tuition fees and other costs they must pay while they will get at Umass Amherst. It will help them plan their budget accordingly.
Students attending Umass Amherst as in-state residents must pay an average gross cost of $32,168 for an academic session. Tuition is $15,791, books and supplies are $1,000, room and board are $13,329, personal expenses are $1,400, and it has some additional fees at Umass Amherst of $648. It is the fee for in-state residence students who want to study at Umass Amherst.
Umass charges a total average of $52,156 from the students who have out-of-state residence. It includes tuition fees of $35,779, which are higher than those of the students who have an in-state address. Other allowances for non-resident students are the same, such as $1,000 for books and supplies, $13,329 for room and board, $1,400 for personal expenses, and $648 for out-of-state residence students.
The fees may change in any academic session if the governing buddies of Umass Amherst decide, and to get updates on the financial aid of Umass, you can download its financial aid or visit its official website. The students can also apply for scholarships, which may reduce their expenses at Umass Amherst.
Ranking Review of the University of Massachusetts Amherst:
Umass Amherst is a prestigious and top university, and students from around the world come here to study. When they see the rankings of Umass, it is easy for them to decide whether they should pursue Umass Amherst there or not at Umass.
If you see the national ranking of Umass Amherst, then Forbes has put it in 155th place, THE or WSJ has given it 160 ranks, and according to the US News and World Report survey, Umass Amherst is at 66th position, while Washington Monthly has awarded it 122 successions in the national rankings of different universities that participate in the grading.
The global ranking of Umass Amherst is as follows: ARWU ranks it from 151 to 200, and QS ranks it from 270 to 250. The reports rank it from 201 to 250, and US News and World Report rank Umass Amherst 136th among various global universities rankings.
Besides, the rankings of UMass Amherst among its different programs are also highly ranked by various survey websites and magazines. These programs attract students worldwide to Umass Amherst, and they want to know in detail about the rankings of Umass Amherst. You can visit the websites.
Library, Campus, and Student Reviews of Umass Amherst:
The campus of Umass Amherst has expanded to almost 1,450 acres, which seems to be in a ring shape because the academic buildings and research lab buildings are surrounded by some residential areas and the university’s apartment complexes. The Umass Amherst campus is beautiful because the buildings and open places are decorated with flowers and plants.
The W. E. B. Du Bois Library at the University of Massachusetts Amherst is a 26-story building that is one of the world’s tallest universities and the second-tallest library. It has a collection of books related to different programs operated at UMass Amherst. You can read about social change movements, history books, journal articles, news articles, and other topics that will help you become a better person and advance your career. Umass Amherst has one more library, which is known as the Science and Engineering Library. It has some film libraries and attractive museums. People can also see its museums for free.
The students of Umass Amherst can live in 52 residence halls where they get quality dining, enough space to live, and other options and facilities such as gyms, athletics, swimming, clubs, cultural festivals, student communities, disabled sites, and more.
Some Great Personalities of the University of Massachusetts, Amherst:
Here is a list of some inspiring personalities who spread the name and fame of Umass all around the world and inspired many students to get into Umass Amherst, from where they could achieve their goals.
- Russell Hulse
- Catherine Coleman
- Robert Miller
- David Lowy
- Jack Welch
- Steven Sinofsky
- Serena Williams
- Black Francis
Not only does Umass Amherst have such great alumni, but it also has some great personalities who have worked brilliantly in their field and inspire millions of students from all over the world to achieve their goals.
Admission to Umass Amherst is based on the following criteria:
If students want to attend Umass Amherst University, they must meet the following eligibility requirements.
- Your high school GPA score should be between 3.93 and 4.0.
- If you have participated in the SAT, your minimum average score should be 1290.
- The average ACT score to get into Umass Amherst is 29.
- Applicants must have a talented academic record in their previous studies.
- You should keep the letter of recommendation with you.
- The applicants must be able to speak, write, and read English, and they can also appear in the English language test at Umass Amherst.
In addition to these eligibility requirements, you must appear in the subject tests for which you applied, and only then will you be considered for admission to the University of Massachusetts, Amherst.
How can you fill out the application form for Umass Amherst?
You can fill out the application form for Umass using Common App or by visiting the official website of Umass Amherst. You have to create your account with Umass Amherst, and then you will get a login ID and password on your email. You must keep this for further use. Applicants must have all required documents, such as original high school transcripts and test scores. You can send these documents directly to Umass or upload them with your application form. Before final submission and paying the application fees, you should check and validate the details, pay the application fee of $85 and submit your application form.
Umass Amherst is also known as the University of Massachusetts. Amherst is a public research university that offers excellent facilities to its students, such as the ability to work with professors, discuss issues with professors in their spare time, and gain expertise in lab sessions that are held regularly at Umass. It has a test-optional policy, which means you can apply to the University of Massachusetts, Amherst, even if you did not participate or submit your ACT and SSAT scores.
- Is Umass a Tier 1?
Yes, Umass Amherst and other institutes of Umass, which are public national universities in Massachusetts, are ranked as Tier 1 institutions.
- Is Umass Amherst an Ivy League university?
No, Umass Amherst is not considered an Ivy League school.