College education has a tremendous impact on the success of those who choose to acquire it. A college qualification opens doors to employment opportunities, financial security, deep knowledge, personal development along with a variety of new skills. Therefore, it is vital to select a college that will provide the best level of high education, which will help you kickstart your career path. This article will introduce you to one of the best academic institutions in the United States, William and Mary college!
About William and Mary college
William and Mary college is one of the oldest academic institutions in the United States. It was initially established in 1693. Currently, William and Mary is one of the best research universities in the US.
Interestingly, the establishment of this institution was granted by King William III and Queen Mary. They both signed the Royal Charter so that the college can be founded within the Virginia Colony.
William and Mary college (main campus) is located in Sadler Center, Williamsburg, Virginia in the United States. Additionally, other William and Mary academic facilities are located in Washington D.C ( Washington Center) and Gloucester Point ( Virginia Institute of Marine Science).
William and Mary have often been referred to as the “Alma Mater of the Nation” mainly because prominent Americans attended the college, not long after it was officially established. Specifically, we can name historical people such as George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, James Monroe, and President John Tyler.
William and Mary’s college is:
- The first academic institution to have a Royal Charter.
- The first college to become a university.
- The college has the first student honor code.
- The first Law academic institution in the United States.
- The initial Greek-letter society.
As previously mentioned, William and Mary is a research university, hence, it has successfully transitioned between research and teaching as well as teaching and learning. Additionally, for approximately 300 years, this academic institution has attained a high level of creativity, innovation, and excellence. Since William and Mary is a “Public lvy” it has provided quality education at an affordable price to American students for a great number of years now!
William and Mary have:
- Self-driven, hard-working, intelligent, and dedicated students.
- Professors who are research mentors, teachers as well as scholars. These have greatly contributed to producing successful graduates.
Amazingly, William and Mary have played a major role in improving the economic growth within Williamsburg and the Commonwealth of Virginia.
What William and Mary offers?
William and Mary college offers the following:
- Organizations and clubs
- Students can engage in a range of activities.
- The different organizations and clubs allow students to participate in community projects, environmental sustainability activities, religious activities, cultural pride, and political engagement.
- Sport and recreation
- Students can participate in sports activities as well as many outdoor activities.
- Housing and dining
- William and Mary’s College offers quality accommodation for students. Furthermore, the college dining is exceptional, offering healthy and delicious cuisines.
- Performance and arts
- William and Mary offer art and entertainment activities, Art and Science, student arts organizations as well as a speech and dance department.
- Campus Culture
- William and Mary encourage diversity, learning, love of tradition, and moral imperatives as part of the Campus Culture.
- Campus Spaces
- William and Mary have beautiful and historical campus spaces.
- Wellness and Health
- Students have access to health and wellness centers.
Benefits of attending William and Mary college.
Let’s now look at some of the benefits that one can gain if they choose to attend William and Mary college.
- Undergraduates are allowed to work with their fellow students as well as experienced mentors on original, hands-on projects.
- William and Mary are dedicated to sustainability and community services as a result, you can expect to receive the best level of tertiary education.
- William and Mary value diversity and inclusivity. Therefore, attending William and Mary college will allow you in socializing with different people.
- Security on campus is guaranteed.
- All students who attend William and Mary college have a sense of belonging mainly because the institution has a warm and welcoming environment.
- Classes are small, which allows students to have a more personal relationship with the faculty mentors and they are also able to interact with their peers.
Why attend William and Mary college?
Here are the main reasons you should consider attending William and Mary college.
- William and Mary college is a Public lvy, therefore, it is an affordable institution.
- William and Mary are one of the most elite academic institutions in the United States.
- Students who attend William and Mary’s college increase their chances of employment because this institution has a good record of producing excellent graduates.
- Professors are dedicated and genuinely happy to assist students at all times.
- Students receive a quality education as well as useful academic resources.
- William and Mary College is one of the oldest academic institutions and many well-known people attended this college.
- Each tradition at William and Mary has a history behind it and everyone in the institution adheres to those traditions.
William and Mary college is well known for its liberal arts and sciences curriculum as well as its committed professors. Moreover, over the years this public research university has produced exceptional graduates. As a result, the institution’s great achievements have largely impacted the success of all those who choose to attend the college.
FREQUENTLY asked questions
- Does William and Mary college accept students from other countries?
- Yes, William and Mary accept students from over 50 countries.
- What is W&M’s student-faculty ratio?
- The ratio is 12:1.
- Where is W&M’s School of Marine Science located?
- The School of Marine Science is located in Virginia.