To know Medical University of South Carolina Admission Requirements and GPA….Read on this article….!
Being a student in a university that is the oldest school of medicine in the south of the United States requires high qualifications. The Medical University of South Carolina (MUSC) teaches and trains more than 3000 students per year in its six colleges. To be one of these students, you must fulfill all the university’s requirements.
Talking about the admission and GPA requirements for Medical University of South Carolina, each one of the university’s colleges has its requirements, and some of them are similar.
Medical University of South Carolina Admission Requirements and GPA
College of Medicine Admission Requirements:
A minimum 496 score on Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) is a must to allow the candidates for the interview. This test should be done three years from enrollment and in the semester of the year that precedes admission.
Applicants must submit noon-less than three recommendation letters;
Various letters are required from special students who have had a job or have served in the military. Students can submit letters from their past supervisors, but at the minimum, 2 of these letters must be from college professors.
Candidates must hold a Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Art or a certificate that is equal from an authorized college during the matriculation period or be admitted into a dual baccalaureate-MD program designed in collaboration with MUSC at the date of applying. Also, at the time of enrollment, MUSC suggests that candidates must have completed two semesters of general biology course with lab, two semesters of general inorganic chemistry with lab, one to two semesters of organic chemistry with lab, and one to two semesters of physics with lab.
Applicants must hold a certificate that proves their English language capability (candidate must have the ability to read, speak and write English fluently.
A candidate can only apply to the Medical University of South Carolina three times.
To be eligible to apply for the M.D. major, international applicants must hold a permanent residence permit (green card).
College of Dental Medicine Admission Requirements:
– Before matriculation, candidates who have completed or will do four years of university courses and achieved a Bachelor’s level from a nationally accredited U.S. university are given serious attention.
At least three years of very good university work and a very good GPA and dental admission test (DAT) scores may be regarded in rare circumstances.
– Applicants must have a recent official DAT score from the United States.
– Applicants should note that Canadian DATs are rejected.
– Applicants must submit at least three reference letters or one personal committee letter.
– Applicants must have completed eight semester hours of prerequisite courses, including General Chemistry with lab, Organic Chemistry with lab, Zoology with lab, Physics with lab, and six semester hours of English and Mathematics. All these prerequisite courses must be completed at the time of enrollment.
College of Nursing Admission Requirements:
For Registered Nurse to Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN):
- Applicants who own an Associate Degree in Nursing must have completed 60 semester hours of prerequisite courses, including Human Anatomy, Microbiology, English Literature, Human Physiology, etc.
- Applicants with no Bachelor of Science in Nursing must have completed 22 semester hours of prerequisite courses, including Human Anatomy, Statistics, Lifespan Human Growth, Development, etc.
- At least an 80 TOEFL score is a need for candidates whose mother language is not English.
- Foreign students requiring an F-1 visa are not allowed to enroll in MUSC’s School of Nursing level programs. Only U.S. citizens, legal residents, and those with other legal non-immigrant categories that allow involvement in legitimate education while in the United States will be considered.
- To finish the registration, candidates must send a certified copy of a transcript, a cv, an article, and recommendations.
For the Accelerated Bachelor of Science in Nursing (ABSN) degree
- Applicants must have a cumulative GPA of 3. Students should have got a “C” or more in prerequisite coursework.
- Candidates without a baccalaureate degree must have completed 60 semester hours of prerequisite courses between Human Anatomy, Microbiology, Science Elective, Nutrition, and others…
- Candidates with a baccalaureate degree must have completed 25 semester hours of prerequisite courses, including Human Anatomy, Statistics, Lifespan Human Growth, Development, etc.
- To complete the registration, candidates must send a certified copy of the transcript, a cv, an article, and recommendations.
- Applicants whose mother language is not English must submit at least an 80 TOEFL score.
- Foreign students who need an F-1 visa do not have permission to enroll in MUSC’s School of Nursing. Only U.S. citizens, legal residents, and those with other legal non-immigrant categories that allow involvement in legitimate education while in the United States will be considered.
For Doctor of Nursing Practice Advanced Practice Registered Nurse (DNP-APRN) degree:
- Applicants must have a certificate of active advanced practice nursing (APRN) in the area where the internship will take place.
- Proof of existing internship inside the APRN region where the DNP project could be performed.
- A minimum GPA of 3 for Nursing and a CGPA of ¾ on the undergraduate and graduate courses.
- Applicants must hold a fully authorized Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN).
- Applicants must hold a master’s degree in nursing (MSN).
- Candidates must have learned statistics courses either at the undergraduate or graduate levels.
For Ph.D. in Nursing Science degree:
- A current Curriculum Vitae.
- A maximum of 2 pages of motivation letter explains goals, motivation, and purposes for studying Ph.D. in nursing.
- Applicants must submit three reference letters; one of them must be from an academic origin.
- Applicants must have completed a statistics course in the last five years, either undergraduate or graduate levels.
- At the minimum, a 3.5/4 GPA is a requirement for both undergraduate and graduate studies.
- Applicants do not have to submit a GRE score for this program.
College of Pharmacy:
– Applicants must have completed 44 to 62 semester hours of prerequisite courses (all of them must be in the English language) from a college in the U.S. Online courses are prohibited
– Applicant must submit a TOEFL test of at least 77 scores (For all international applicants).
– Candidates who have taken courses beyond the United States must provide a transcript evaluation course by course through the PharmCAS application.
College of Health Professions:
– Requirements, application deadlines, and admissions information differ depending on the program. To know extra information about a program, click on the link below.
In conclusion, we can say that the Medical University of South Carolina requires a very high condition from the students to be accepted at it, and this is to ensure that it will graduate well qualified medical staff who will be an extra value to the medical field and will execute a very high performance in this field.
Frequently Asked Questions:
1- Do you accept applications from other states?
Because this university is an authorized institution, in-state applicants are given priority, followed by out-of-state candidates with strong ties to South Carolina.
2- Is it possible to transfer to this medical school at this university?
Transfer students are admitted to MUSC on a very unusual basis. Therefore, the student must first and foremost have a “hardship” cause for planning to join a medical school at MUSC.
3- What is the cost of attending MUSC College of Medicine? Is there a presence for any scholarships?
The MUSC Office of Enrollment Management has data on tuition costs for the M.D. program. In addition, feel free to visit the College of Medicine Scholarships page for extra information on available scholarships.