To know is it appropriate to treat all students equally….Read on this article…!
Students are the future of the sustainable world that we dream of today.It is appropriate to Prepare the students for a world that treat everyone equally, and by equally I mean equal at the social level, mental level, emotional level, and economical level. Assuming that students today would choose the right path in every aspect they must face the right treatment at their home, school, college, and in public.
To set our students up for an exceptional future, parents, teachers, and society needs to illuminate them. No student should be discriminated against on any basis whether they are of different religion, a different society, different color, different race, or a different country, students deserve equal treatment.
On what basis can a teacher discriminate against students?
There have been many cases to date which show that minorities have always been the victim of discrimination in one way or another. There are various aspects based on which teachers can discriminate against students:
- Discrimination based on skin color: Various institutions around the world have their door open for students of different skin colors. However, sometimes not only teachers but students also discriminate against skin color. Many students who have dark skin face discrimination in the classroom by teachers and their classmates.
- Discrimination based on religion: Various institutions around the world have their door open for students from different religions. Nevertheless, minority students face discrimination. Many universities in the world are religion-based. Even if such universities claim to be fair, some teachers and students there might discriminate.
- Racism: Students in the classroom can be treated unequally because of racism. Some teachers and students might have beliefs that their culture or traditions are superior, and they can make students face racism.
- Gender-based discrimination: Many students face gender-based discrimination at school and colleges and most victims are females.
- Discrimination against disabled people: Many schools and colleges have their doors open for the people with disabilities but still many teachers do not treat disabled students equal to those with no disabilities
- Discrimination based on economic status: Although, schools and colleges do not consider socioeconomic factors during the admissions. Institutions aim at providing equal education to every economic group and for that, they offer scholarships as well. However, teachers might discriminate against students based on their socioeconomic status.
Can teachers treat students unequally?
Perhaps, sometimes it’s not the other factors mentioned above about which teachers discriminate. Sometimes, it’s favoritism. Teachers might favor their favorite students in terms of grades, attention, and time. Being someone’s favorite student, or having a favorite student is not an issue. Every person has the right to choose their favorite. But favoritism has no excuse. A teacher should be impartial no matter what.
Why should teachers treat everyone equally?
Teachers are building blocks of a county. They can either build or destroy. If teachers discriminate or favor the favoritism then it will lower the confidence of other students. This unfair treatment can also hinder the achievements of students in the classroom and outside the classroom. Unfair treatment of teachers can also deprive students of the success they can achieve due to their talent or sometimes can lower the morale of students that they might not even show their creativity and smartness, they might feel underestimated and not show what they are capable of.
Students always give their best where teachers are supportive and fair and can earn respect in return.
How can a teacher treat all students equally?
A teacher needs to realize that every student deserves equal treatment no matter where they are from, what socioeconomic background they are from, what ethnic and racial group they belong to, or what their skin color is.
A teacher should keep in mind they can build the confidence of a student. A mind is a powerful tool, and the teacher is the operator of that tool. Hence, this is the duty of the teacher to repair the broken parts.
A teacher should always be fair during classroom activities such as class tests, quizzes, and class projects. They should appreciate everyone equally. A teacher should never be fair while assigning the grades. They should let every student gain equal opportunities whether it’s on-campus or off-campus.
A teacher should never favor favoritism. Instead, the teacher can ask the students to help each other in study projects, and other extracurricular activities.
What steps should a student take if the teacher is being unfair?
If you find that you received unfair grades then crosscheck, ask for feedback from any of your class fellow, discuss the issue with your teaching assistant, and then with your teacher in person.
Some students can lose control over themselves when they see something unfair happening to them. Arguing with your teacher in front of the whole class is not a good option, so keep calm and consult the teacher in private about the issues you are facing.
A final word
Students should always be treated right and equally. If we treat students unequally, we will be preparing the students for the same behavior. A good teacher will never play favoritism because they know their professionalism and what effect their behavior is meant to have on students. If you are brave enough to handle every situation politely and calmly then you can also handle favoritism and discrimination, and deal with the teacher at a personal level as well.
If you face discrimination or favoritism in your classroom then do not underestimate yourself. Your confidence is your strength. Your racial, cultural, and economic background is your identity that you should be proud of.
Frequently asked questions (FAQS)
Q 1. Can a teacher be partial towards students?
Ans. No authority school or university system allows any kind of impartial behavior because being treated equally is everyone’s right. But yea, sometimes a teacher can be impartial at the personal level. It can be due to favoritism or may be due to the discriminatory behavior of teachers based on their mindset of cultural, religious, economic, or racial differences.
Q 2. Why is it important to treat all students equally?
Ans. Students are the future. What we teach them will be passed on to the next generation. Not only students but every person in the world deserves to be treated equally. It is students’ right to get equal treatment in and outside the classroom.