Deciding which university to get into, as a high school student, is no cakewalk. To decide, you have to look at the reviews of many colleges and look at them from various aspects. It is a widely known and accepted fact that the Ivy League colleges are well-renowned, with a very low acceptance rate. However, this does not mean that there are no other good colleges out there. Sure, the Ivy Leagues come with a special stamp that would look good on your further applications or resume, but the United States is filled with well-established colleges. And one such college is the University of Alabama! So, without further ado, let us not sway off-topic and dive right into your query about the is University of Alabama is competitive or not
The University of Alabama: Is it Competitive?
There is no high school student who hasn’t heard about the University of Alabama. In terms of popularity and fame, the university does not fare far behind most. However, it is safe to say that the University of Alabama is comparatively less competitive than its competitors.
Nevertheless, to know whether the University of Alabama is competitive or not, there are certain factors that you need to bear in mind, such as:
- Acceptance Rate: A university’s acceptance rate tells a lot about its competitiveness! The higher the acceptance rate, the easier it gets to take admission into the university. This means that the competitiveness of such universities is not high. So now, let us have a look at the acceptance rate of the University of Alabama- 83%. Although this makes getting admission to the university easier than most, this also means that the competitiveness is quite low.
- SAT and ACT Scores: Another aspect that needs your attention is whether the college considers your SAT and/or ACT scores. Although the difficulty level of the two tests is not high, but the number of candidates is high. And thus, this makes the two tests very competitive. Therefore, if a college claims to consider your SAT and ACT scores, then it is highly competitive. As regards the University of Alabama, you have to submit either your SAT score or your ACT score. The average range of scores on both these tests must range from 1280 and 30 onwards.
- Highest GPA: In addition to the two points, one other aspect that needs your attention is the GPA. While considering SAT and ACT scores are optional, colleges always take into account your high school GPA! The higher the GPA requirement, the more competitive the college. For instance, the Ivy League colleges consider GPAs around 3.8 and above, which means that these colleges are very competitive. When it comes to the University of Alabama, the average GPA required stands at 3.5 and above. If your high school GPA is below this, then the chances of your admission might not be solid.
- The Rankings: One other important aspect that demands your attention is the university’s rankings. Through this, it becomes known whether the university is worth attending or not! So, when it comes to the University of Alabama, the university is ranked number 67 in the field of Top Public Schools. Moreover, the university is ranked number 86 as regards the sphere of the Best College for Veterans. And in addition to this, the university has acquired the rank of 96 in the category of the Best Undergraduate Engineering Programs. Besides this, in the category of the Top Performers on Social Mobility, the university has coolly fared the rank of number and a solid 132 in Best School Values!
Facts and Figures: Know More about the University of Alabama
Now that you know the aspects that must be looked at while pondering over whether a university is competitive or not, let us move ahead and address more pressing concerns! While the University of Alabama seems highly competitive in some aspects and less competitive in others, it is imperative to have a look at its statistics in rankings!
- The University of Alabama is well-renowned to have appeared on the Forbes list of the Best Employers for New Graduates in the year 2021.
- In the category of the Top 25 Collegiate Model UN, the University of Alabama’s Model UN team is ranked number 15!
- When it comes to ranking public universities, the U.S. News and World Report has ranked the Manderson Graduate School of Business of the University of Alabama number 22.
- As regards the rankings in the academic sphere, the accountancy undergraduate courses offered by the University of Alabama have been ranked number 11th. Moreover, the master’s courses provided by the university are ranked at an all-time high number 10th. And not just this, the doctoral courses offered by the university are ranked number 9th!
- The School of Law of the University of Alabama is quite well-established and popular since it was ranked number 9 by U.S. News and World Report.
After looking at the University of Alabama from all the possible angles, it must be obvious to you by now that the university is not highly competitive. Although it has acquired good ranks in most categories, the acceptance rate of 83% itself is a huge blow to the students. And while a high acceptance rate can be a good thing since it gives opportunities to many students, it also means that the competition level of the university is not high.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- What is the high school GPA required at the University of Alabama?
3.5 or above.
2) Are SAT and ACT scores required at the University of Alabama?
Yes, you can either provide your SAT score or your ACT score.